Westende is partly situated in the dunes and polders. The beaches are wide, nine kilometres long and are connected by a boulevard. At some places the beach is 500 meter wide, which is one of the things which makes Westende the perfect holiday destination for ones that are looking for nature, sea, architecture and local gastronomy.
Furthermore there are plenty of activities in July and August, which are under organised by enthusiastic sport instructors. The ones that don’t want to lay on the beach all day long can play beach volleyball, fitness, beach football and many other games. Most of these activities are for free!
A sunbath or a walk along the beach, playing fun or water sports. The very well maintained, white beaches of Westende will offer you peace and quietness. The beaches will be cleaned everyday during the summer. Besides the rescue brigade will guard the beaches and warns when there is a dangerous current or wind; a pleasant and safe feeling.
During July and August you can swim under supervision of safeguards and first-aid professionals. The beach is also provided with showers. If you are interested in a beach holiday in Belgium, Westende definitely is a good destination!
A sunbath or a walk along the beach, playing fun or water sports. The very well maintained, white beaches of Westende will offer you peace and quietness. Optimum facilities will tribute to the comfort and with that the holiday pleasure of the guests. It starts with accessible beach crossings and the lifeguards and the rescue brigade whom watch over the well being of the guests, with a First aid post nearby. Furthermore the local cafes, terraces and restaurants near the beach will take care of the needs for serving drinks, icecream, lunch and diner.
On the beaches you will find flags and signs with instructions for swimming. It is wise to take account of these signals. They are there for you!
Floating Bodies prohibited
Dogs at the beach
The beaches of Westende be an attractive environment for recreation, for both humans and dogs. And what could be better than a walk on the beach with your dog. In the summer season are dogs, either loose or on a leash, not on all the beaches of the Belgian coast welcome.
There are 2 specific areas where you can walk with your dog on the beach:
- At wave breakers: the beach next to the supervised Sint-Laureins zone, direction Nieuwpoort.
- At wave breakers: the beach next to the supervised ‘Carlton’ zone, direction Oostende.
Dogs do not have to be kept on a leash in those areas. Between June 15 and September 15, except the period mentioned above, it is forbidden to take your dog to walk on the beach.
Please read the information boards carefully, which are at each beach (entrance).
Voici un aperçu des plages de Westende
- At low tide there is a strong current towards the sea, than stay close to shore. In case you get pulled in by the current do not try to swim straight against it, but swim slanting to the shore with the current. Also be aware of floating devices like air-beds, boats or other swimming devices.
- Do not get to close to the poles, piers or other obstacles.
- Watch your children carefully, do not let them alone near the water. Are there recognition signs on the beach, tell it to your children.
- Help to keep the beaches clean.